According to our Watershed Biologist, Rob Karner, here are 10 quick things you can do in preparation for the summer season on Glen Lake:
1. Check your septic pumping schedule to see if you need to pump your tank (usually every 3-5 years or more frequently with heavy use).
2. Refrain from blowing leaves and debris into the lake as you clean up your yard. Compost leaves in the woods to return nutrients to the soil.
3. Prepare to gather all hazardous wastes for the spring collection date of June 30 at Glen Lake School (call 231.256.9812 ahead of collection day).
4. Prep your lake water irrigation system after the last frost for summer use, or set up a time to contact a contractor to install one.
5. Mix your compost piles that are away from the shoreline and add new compost.
6. Take shelled corn or other grains off your shopping list so you are not tempted to feed the ducks on your shoreline. By not feeding the waterfowl you’ll keep ducks, geese, and swans from gathering in concentrated groups where they will defecate, introducing harmful E. coli bacteria and excessive nutrients to the water.
7. Sign up for a Discovery Boat Cruise and find out more about GLA’s 2018 projects and initiatives, along with learning what makes Glen Lake and the Crystal River Watershed so special.
8. Take the online survey for the Michigan Shoreland Stewards Program at www.mishorelandstewards.org and become a Guardian. (Please be sure to register!)
9. Pick up all pet waste that accumulated over the winter and dispose in the trash.
10. If you fertilize in the spring, be sure to keep it at least 50 feet away from the shoreline and shop for phosphorous-free fertilizer. HJ Premium Turf Food provides essential nutrients lawns need to be vigorous, lush and green.
Thank you for your efforts in caring for Glen Lake
and the Crystal River Watershed!
The Glen Lake Association (GLA) Annual Meeting will be held on Saturday, August 11th, 2018 at the Glen Lake Community Reformed Church, 4902 W. MacFarlane Rd., Glen Arbor.
The meeting will begin at 10:00 a.m. with educational sessions, followed by the State of the Lake report and member recognition awards. Lunch will be provided for all attendees immediately following the meeting. Free tree seedlings will be available for all attendees too!
Educational topics will include:
Swimmer’s Itch update by GLA lake biologist, Rob Karner.
Overview of the Glen Lake Watershed Guardian Program and introduction of our new, on-staff Guardian Ambassador, Tricia Denton.
Opportunities for members to make an impact through GLA involvement.
Members will have the opportunity to vote for new board members who are filling vacancies for terms that have expired or those seeking a second term. A nominating committee has identified qualified members and made their recommendations for the available positions. The GLA appreciates your participation on this important matter.
Bring a friend or neighbor, particularly someone who has never attended the annual meeting.
Registration for GLA’s 2018 Discovery Boat cruises is now open to the public! Plan a memorable outing to enjoy a scenic, summertime cruise while also learning about the wonder of our freshwater lakes.
Schedule the date and time that works for you at this link to our GLA Event Calendar. It’s not too soon to plan on enjoying a Discovery Boat cruise with your friends and family – and they’ll thank you for it!
Join Glen Lake Association’s Watershed Biologist, Rob Karner, on a pontoon boat for a two hour scientific study of Glen Lake. Using various scientific equipment, students learn all about plankton, water chemistry, Swimmer’s Itch life cycle, hydrology, bottom sediments, aquatic succession, and aquatic plants.
Also learn about and see a plankton net, a compound microscope, Ekman Dredge, sonar devices, aqua view underwater camera, and the hydrolab.
Note:Children under 5 years not allowed. Children 5-10 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. If possible, please bring life jackets for children.
Download theliability release form here, which is required for all participants. Registration price is per person. Please add additional people in your group as “Guests” under the primary registration.
GLA reserves the right to cancel due to weather conditions. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to starting time.
We look forward to having you and sharing our love of Glen Lake! It’s going to be a great summer.